Sunday, October 9, 2011

random thoughts

We took E in to the doctor today for a check-up and shots.  She has only gained 100 grams since last month.  Not sure why she is so small.  Every time her doctor said something about breastfeeding, he would look at my chest (very annoying since it happened three times).  Thai babies are mostly formula fed, so the fact that we have a doctor that encourages breast feeding, it still makes it hard when most of his patients are formula fed.  He said physically (except weight) and developmentally she is doing fine.  Ugh, this is so hard on me!  I don't want him to say she is "failing to thrive" one more time!  She is thriving just fine in my book!

There were tons of other babies in the doctors office today.  All the thai people love E because she is so white.  Thai people see white as being high class I guess.  The whiter you are, the better job you have because you work in doors.  They sale whitening deodorant, whitening face wash, whitening lotion, whitening EVERYTHING!  I have yet to find a deodorant that I can use here because it has whitening stuff in it! And you have to be very careful with buying makeup and lotion, because you can grab the kind with whitening in it.

Anyways, on the way to and from the doctor this morning, my little angel talked happily to her frog! No cries from her! Just talk!  Derry thinks she will be our little chatter box.  Tonight during church, I could feel her talking while we sang.  It was pretty cute!

Landon has started singing this days.  I think he picks it up from me! =) That makes my heart happy!  He sings "bicycle, bicycle" from the band Queen (I sing it every time I see his bike!).  I heard him sing part of the Dora song tonight (Dora Dora Dora the Explorer, Dora the Explorer!).  While he was watching Dora after nap, I was subbing in  L's name and E's name when they sang 'Dora' and Landon started subbing her name with 'momma'.  It was so precious!  He has been surprising me with other things too.  His imagination is coming in and he is starting to build things with his blocks.  While I was nursing E on the couch tonight, L was bringing blocks over and building next to me on the couch.  He was being very precise and patient.  I was praising him the entire time!  He is growing up super fast!

More randomness:  When you go to the doctor here, you have a an appointment for the day to come in, but not the time.  We have to show up early to the kids' doctor so we can sign their names in for the actual appointment (there still isn't a time).  E was number 11 on the list today,  we got there at 9, it didn't open 'til 9:30 (they put the list up outside) and the doctor sometimes gets there on time, sometimes doesn't.  I didn't get in to see the doctor until 10:30 and was out at 11.  All that to say, there is A LOT of people in the waiting room.  And everyone wants to know all about Emery.  Sometimes they ask me in Thai, sometimes in English. Sometimes I can answer back in time, sometimes I have no idea what they are saying to me.  I can tell when they talk about how white she is, ask her age or her name, ask if she is a boy or girl (yes I get this question even when she is all dressed up in pink with a high bow in her hair), general stuff like that.  Today I honestly didn't feel like chatting it up with anyone.  I wanted to be left alone in my own little bubble, not worrying about what they asked me in Thai, or how to answer.  I know it is selfish of me, but sometimes Thai people can be really nosey (compared to American standards).  They ALWAYS ask if she is breastfeeding (gkin nom mee?), even if they are TOTAL STRANGERS to me.  I don't care, it is just annoying after a while.  They ALWAYS ask about her gender (as above, even when she has a huge bow on her head).  They want to know where we are from, what her name is, how old she is, where we live (yes, where we live), what she eats, etc.  Rant ended . . . =)



I need to go now, I'm sitting downstairs in the dark, while a mosquito feasts upon my flesh in various places and I can feel sweat starting to accumulate  in the middle of my back getting ready to make a race down to my waistband.  =)  Night!

1 comment:

  1. C was my slow gainer. It was hard dealing with all the "skinny" and "don't you feed that poor baby?" comments. Even harder was when the pediatrician asked how I knew if my milk "was good" and threatened to label him "Failure to Thrive." Here that can mean a visit from CPS and weekly weight checks.

    I ended up finding a dr who looked at the "big picture" Was he meeting his milestones on time? Yes. Was he alert and active? Yes. Did he get to eat as much as he wanted as often as he wanted? Yes. Was he gaining/growing? Slowly but yes.

    As long as E is growing, meeting milestones, and active/alert then I wouldn't worry. As our new ped put it, some babies just "follow their own curve"

    ReplyDelete